Monday, September 22, 2014

Working Better

For as long as I can remember, I've had Gmail, Google Voice and Google Calendar tabs perpetually open in my browser. However, after reading this article on Working Better by Paul Jarvis, I've decided to close the Gmail and Google Voice tabs in order to "Turn off every notification."

This is a difficult decision to make because a lot of my friends and some close family are long-distance at the moment, and removing these tabs is going to make me significantly less responsive to their texts and emails.

I'm also experimenting with making my browser full-screen when working on the internet, in order to allow for better focus. The result is interesting because the browser tends to look more like an app when doing this - one of the things I loathe the most about the app-based mobile ecosystem is the inability to run apps side-by-side - but I do think that it has been helping me.

The other suggestion that I really like is, "Keep a log of what you eat during the day and how you feel afterwards." I don't think I'll be able to implement this one just yet, but it's something I definitely want to plan towards in the long run. As I've aged, I'm discovering more and more the impact that small, everyday things like the food I eat has on my health and comfort.

I'm not sure how to approach this subject because of the sheer amount of misinformation available in the food and nutrition space. One thing I've been thinking of doing is to start having a "salad lunch" day once a week to get some fibre going through my system.

If you have time, give the article a read. It's a quick and simple read, and well worth the time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment